Table of Contents
Flamingo – Chapter 1- The Last Lesson MCQs
1. Who is the author of The Last Lesson?
(a) Jane Austen
(b) Rabindra Nath Tagore
(d) Alphonse Daudet
2. Which Country did Alphonse Daudet belong to?
3. Identify the setting of the story “The Last Lesson”.
(a) Franco- Purssian War
(b) Franco- Austrian War
(c) Franko- Russian War
(d) Franco- ItalianWar
4. What did Franz find on reaching the school?
(a) People were dancing
(b) school was closed
(c) Police patrolling
(d) strange quietness
5. What was M. Hamel going to question Franz about?
(c) old primer
(d) Ba be bi bo bu
6. For the last two years, where did all the bad news come from?
(a) the Bulletin Board
(b) Town Hall
(d) M. Hamel’s House
7. Don’t go so fast, you will get to your school in plenty of time means ________
(a) getting late
(b) very early
(c) not early
(d) early enough
8. Why was Franz surprised?
(a) Because of village elders
(b) Because of police patrolling
(c) because of students’ behavior
(d) because of M.Hamel’s kind and polite behaviour
9. Franz looked for opportunities to skip school to do what?
(a) work on mills
(b) go fishing
(c) water the plants
(d) collect birds eggs
10. What was Franz banking on to enter the class as he was late?
(a) M.Hamel’s teaching on the blackboard
(b) commotion in the class
(c) Hauser helping him sneak in
(d) to quietly walk in when everyone was preoccupied with participles
11. M. Hamel is introduced as a ruler-wielding teacher. This demonstrates that:
(a) he is concerned.
(b) he is adamant.
(c) he is unfeeling.
(d) he is a hard taskmaster.
12. Franz thinks- will they make them sing in German- even the pigeons? What could this mean?
(a) German would use brutal force over everyone
(b) harsh orders will be passed
(c) when people are deprived of their essence even their surroundings are affected.
(d) the Germans will rob France of its language.
13. What does M. Hamel’s motionless posture reflect?
(a) the school is dismissed
(b) sense of finality
(c) changing order of life
(d) feeling of nostalgia
14. What is the moral that the Alphonse Daudet wants to bring out?
(a) not to put off things that one can do that day
(b) old order changed to new
(c) one should accept everything that happens
(d) teachers should be respected
15. Why did Hamel blame himself?
(a) not having taught them enough French
(b) not being strict
(c) giving students a holiday at times
(d) not being responsible
16. Who sat on the backbench on the last lesson?
(c) the village people
(d) The new teacher
17. What did Mr. Hamel bring for his class on his last day in the school?
(a) new pens
(b) new notebooks
(d) story books
18. What was Franz expected to be prepared for at school that day?
(c) essay writing
19. Why did the villagers come to meet M. Hamel in the school?
(a) to complain
(b) to say goodbye
(c) to gossip
(d) to show gratitude
20. The story ‘The Last Lesson’ highlights which human tendency?
(a) Male Chauvinism
21. What were the countries comprised and called prussia? (The Last Lesson)
(a) Germany, France and Austria
(b) Germany, Poland and Austria
(c) France, Alsace and Lorraine
(d) France, Alsase and Austria
22. When did the Franco-Prussian War take place.
23. Which Two districts of France were occupied by Germany?
(a) Alsace and Lorraine
(b) Alsace and Valence
(c) Lorraine and Lorient
(d) Lorraine and Orleans
24. Which district of France was discussed in “The Last Lesson”?
25. Who led the Prussians in the war?
(a) Otto Von Bismarck
(b) Leon Gambetta
(c) Napolean III
(d) Clara Barton
26. Who defeated whom in the Franco-Prussian War?
(a) Prussia defeated Germany
(b) Prussia defeated France
(c) France defeated Prussia
(d) France defeated Germany
27. M. Hamel wrote as large as he could- VIVE LA FRANCE!- What did he mean by “Vive La France”?
(a) Leave France at once!
(b) We quit France!
(c) Long Live France!
(d) I quit France!
28. For how many years M. Hamel had been there at the Frence School?
(a) 35 Years
(b) 40 Years
(c) 45 Years
(d) 50 Years
29. What were the pitfalls admitted by M. Hamel in teaching and learning French at the school?
(a) Children were sent to farms and mills for earning
(b) he sent them to water his flowers in the garden
(c) he went fr fishing by giving them a holiday
(d) All of the above
30. What were the things that M. Hamel was supposed to miss after leaving the French school?
(a) his schoolroom
(b) the walnut trees and the hop vine
(c) his garden
(d) All of the above